Saturday, February 4, 2017

One-on-One with Javancy Jones

Javancy Jones, a future linebacker and difference maker in the NFL, sat down with me and answered questions about himself, his humble beginnings, and what he brings to the table for 32 NFL teams. Jones, who played his college days at Jackson State University, played all over the field and regardless of his competition, brought his A game every week and proved himself to be a player willing to do whatever it takes to win games.

From humble beginnings to a future in the NFL, Javancy Jones has plenty to motivate him to keep doing what he does best: dominate the football field. When asked what exactly motivates him, Jones simply answered my mother and my little girl. Javancy told me about his mother, “… she went through so much in her life, no matter how much adversity she faced she kept a smile on her face. So, that just lets me know no matter what I go through, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how tough it is I gotta keep pushing.” Later talking about his daughter, Jones went on to say, “… my little girl motivates me because she’s my everything. Everything I do, I make sure I do it for her.” Jones went on to say that with or without football, he is motivated to provide for her and above all else to “make sure my daughter has a better life than I did”.

What kind of strengths does Javancy bring to the table? When asked, Javancy stated, “My IQ. Nine times out of ten I know where the offense is gonna run before they even run it. Just by line up in certain formations. Just by watching film. My versatility. Like I said, I play everything in the front seven from the DE to the 1-tech, 3-tech to the strong side linebacker, the mike, the will. I play all over the front seven. I’ve played in multiple different defenses. I had four different DCs in my four years. I’ve played in a 45, a 3-4, a 4-3 and a 3-3-5. So, I am able to adapt and learn plays very quickly. I also bring good leadership to the team.” It’s this kind of versatility that will help Javancy acclimate to the NFL. His pass rushing ability (19.5 TFLs, 4 sacks in 2016) and his ability to diagnose plays and make open-field tackles will have teams taking a look at him early.

When asked if there are any former or current players he models his game after, he gave me two of the best players to model himself after: Ray Lewis and Khalil Mack. On Ray Lewis, Javancy simply talked about his leadership and the intensity he brings on every play. I thought the Khalil Mack comparison fit very well, as Javancy’s versatility is very similar to Khalil Mack’s ability to rush the passer at any position. Obviously, Javancy has a long ways to go to get to the two time First Team All-Pro’s level, but modeling his game after Mack will help him immensely.

With that versatility, Javancy will be able to make a near seamless transition to the NFL. In fact, Javancy told me he doesn’t believe there is a single defense he can’t adjust to at the next level. “I have looked at some team’s defenses. I can play in any defense. So yes sir, I can play for all 32 teams.” Javancy’s confidence is also a very attractive trait. Knowing that he feels comfortable in any defense should make teams eager to call his name early.

Javancy knows that his abilities will certainly help him to get drafted high. When asked where he believes he should go, Javancy told me that 2nd to 3rd round range would suit him best. Javancy certainly acknowledged that the level of competition he faced could factor against him. “Putting in the factor that I’m coming from a small conference, I’m coming from lesser competition. But when I would play in against so called bigger and better competition- I excelled.

All of this bodes well for the future NFL playmaker. I came away thinking of Javancy as one of the humblest players I have heard interviewed. Based off what I’ve seen, I know Javancy is a future difference maker in the NFL. He’ll certainly have me rooting for him at the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment